Welcome back Lynch Mob! If you are new to this read along madness, buckle in! Red Seas Under Red Skies is the sequel to The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.
This week’s questions were supplied by our brother blogger Bryce over at My Awful Reviews – so be sure to check his site out for his witty answers.
Keep track of us on twitter #lynchmob and check out the list of participating blogs below. Here are the Qs and my answers are at the bottom.
1. The Sinspire. It looks like our heroes (can they really be called that?) find themselves in search of a way into an unbeatable vault. Do you think they have what it takes to make it happen?
2. Anyone want to guess how they’re going to make it happen?
3. It’s a little different this time around, with us just being focused on Locke and Jean. Is anyone else missing the rest of the Bastards as much as I am?
4. I love the section where Jean starts to build a new guild of thieves. It really shows just how well trained and tough he is. Do you think the Bastards will end up training others along the way again like Bug?
5. For those of you looking for Sabetha, we still haven’t spotted her yet. Anyone else chomping at the bit to see the love of Locke’s life?
6. It’s early on, but the Bastards are already caught up in plots that they didn’t expect. How do you think their new “employer” is going to make use of them (The Archon, that is)?
List of Participating Blogs:
1) Right off the bat, I have to wonder if breaking into the vault is a cover or distraction for something else. Things are always complicated with Locke; granted this is a tough vault, but I wonder what else he is planning.
2) Persuasion and lies and misdirection. That is what makes the world of thieves go round. And Jean mentioned something about a climbing harness. There is a spire involved…..
3) I miss the joking and camaraderie that we had with the gang. Locke and Jean are understandably morose.
4) Jean’s character really has come a ways. While I felt that his violence in the first book was justified, I was a little surprised how he knocked around his new, temporary gang without it niggling his conscience. It will be interesting to see how this new, dour, tougher side of Jean evolves.
5) I’m starting to get a little pissed at Sabetha. Hasn’t she heard of the tragedy that befell her former Brothers in Thievery? Is she searching for Locke? Whatever happened between her and Locke – was it so heart-breaking that she can’t bring herself to hunt him down? Perhaps she heard they were all dead and has mourned them all the past 2+ years.
6) I like The Archon and his Eyes. Locke needs this extra challenge. The Archon has outmatched Locke in ruthlessness and subterfuge, but can he continue to do so? I don’t think he will ever out-mouth Locke when it comes to insults.
Other Bits of Interest:
Selendri – I want her back story and I want to know more about that animated, mechanized brass arm of hers.
Wasn’t that the drinking game from hell? Sure does beat Four Kings!
Bloody Bondsmagi- they do not play by their own rules. Creepy on top of creepy.
I noticed on Lynch’s site that he has 7 books planned in this series! These books are so good, let Lynch take as long as he needs to complete this series. It’s like good chocolate – you want to savor it a bit at a time, taking days to finish the entire bar.
Little Red Reviewer: Part 2 – Reminiscence “The Lady of the Glass Pylon” through end of Chapter 6; posts go up Sat May 5
SF Signal: Part 3 – Chapter 7 thru end of Chapter 10; posts go up May 12
Darkcargo: Part 4 – Chapter 11 thru end of chapter 13; posts go up May 19
Lynn’s Book Blog: Part 5 – Chapter 14 to the end, posts go up May 26