Welcome back everyone to Round Three of the Read Along! This is my first time through this book, and it was hard to leave the story at the end of Chapter 10. I so very much wanted to continue on, just to see Jean and Locke kiss and make up (I hope they do!).
This week’s questions are provided by Ashley, who’s posting on SF Signal on Mondays. Stop by and say ‘Hi’ if you need to goof off a bit at work on Monday. You can also follow our silliness on twitter with #lynchmob.
This week’s questions:
1. Locke and Jean’s ability to find themselves at the center of a serious mess seems unparalleled. At this point, do you think that Stragos will get the return he expects on his investment in them?
2. Merrain’s activities after our boys leave Windward Rock are interesting. What do you think her plans are?
3. Does anyone know why having cats aboard the ship is so important?
4. The word “mutiny” creates a lot of mental pictures. Were you surprised? Why or why not?
5. Ah, the Poison Orchid. So many surprises there, not the least of which were the captain’s children. Did you find the young children a natural part of the story?
6. Jean is developing more and more as a character as we get further into the book. Ezri makes the comment to him that “Out here, the past is a currency, Jerome. Sometimes it’s the only one we have.” I think several interesting possibilities are coming into play regarding Jean and Ezri. What about you?
7. As we close down this week’s reading, the Thorn of Camorr is back! I love it, even with all the conflict. Several things from their Camorri background have come back up. Do you think we will see more Camorri characters?
My Awful Reviews
1) I am deeply hoping that Stragos gets more than he bargains for. And that it is delivered on a pointy end.
2) She didn’t take any pleasure in slitting those throats. I am guessing she is in on a the-ends-justify-the-means scheme that is even bigger than Stragos’s goal of setting Tal Verrar up as a dominant power for a future struggle with Karthain. Oh, and that she is well paid, laid, and boozed to compensate for the blood.
3) I would keep a cat for entertainment in a bad storm. Because cats have the best personality, are the calmest critters, and love crashing noises and salt water that lasts for days. Seriously, Iono can never have enough cats in the Great Deep. Oh! And cats can be taught to use crap lines.
4) I was surprised that it took so long for Locke’s crew to mutiny. Of course, it didn’t do them much good; they had waited too long. Next time, they will know to mutiny sooner. I also believe the experience was character building for Locke. I am sure the swelling on his bruised ego will go down soon.
5) I was pleasantly surprised by the family aspect to the Poison Orchid. I also like the rules concerning the kids – they are sacred to every crew member, period. I imagine they are very obedient kids, to their mother at least. So many hazards on a pirate ship… sharp objects, chance for rope burns, large splinters, exposure to crude language and hand gestures, high places, rolling unsecured objects across the deck….. It’s a good thing they have those loving cats to counteract the negatives.
6) Ooooo! I hope Jean and Ezri develop a steamy, loud, and somewhat exhibitionistic sexual affair. Just saying. But even if that doesn’t happen, I still really like Ezri and i hope we get to keep her around for the rest of this book, at least.
7) I don’t expect to see any more Camorri characters, unless the Spider is after Locke, still. Because of that punch in the nose. I was very pleased to see Locke summon his inner Thorn to successfully board that ship. However, the aftermath conflict with Jean was tough. Those two are so good together; yet Jean made some really good points.
Locke has too many coverstories going; he is going to fuck up and it might cost him a body part.
I want to know more about those funny cards that turn into cement with alcohol.
Will Jean ever get his Wicked Sisters back? Like for his personal use, not stuck in his skull.
I am in love with Captain Drakasha. I want to be strong and beautiful and decisive like her.
Darkcargo: Part 4 – Chapter 11 thru end of chapter 13; posts go up May 19
Lynn’s Book Blog: Part 5 – Chapter 14 to the end, posts go up May 26